Wednesday 19 August 2015

East Coast Therapy

 After the high expectations and low realisation of the Wavegarden and the subsequent interest in my blog post all I wanted to do was catch some waves this week. In short It kind of felt like my quiet little surf existence had been sold out and normality was required.

So when a low expectation swell popped up on the charts I saw a chance to wipe clear the post Snowdonia comedown and by 5am on Saturday morning I found myself surfing solo on a small but improving swell at my local reef. Feeling decidedly better after a couple of hours I got out and skipped on my original plans to hang around all day. It was going to get crowded and I wasn’t in the mood.

I went home, reequipped with food and headed out to a less surfed beach. I was greeted by chest high lines which where pushing in true beachie style against a direct offshore wind. It looked picture perfect Scottish Borders East Coast. Once out back it was clear that my choice of bank was sound and chasing a feathering lip all the way to the inside on my longboard on the first wave told me all I need to know how good the session was going to be. Turns, trips to the nose and a half decent floater all came and went and three hours later I was sat on the beach having had the one of the standout sessions of the year. It was always around chest high with the occasional head high set, more punch than expected and perfectly well shaped. The surfing gods were smiling again.

There is no substitute for the sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment